Monday 21 March 2011

Programme of Study

The working title of my MSc is........................
If I were a dancer; Norman as Choreographer

Rationale
As A choreographer , my basic language is movement. Norman McLaren has said the same is true of himself. He created a number of films using dance or dancers; Pas de deux, Adagio and Narcissus among them. I am interested in his love of dance and the relationship between dance and animation. Nera the end of his life,he stated that if he had been a dancer he would no doubt have constructed movement in a completely different way. I feel drawn to trying to understand how he might ahve done this.
Who was the man? What motivated him? What kind of dance might he have choreographed?
It is clear he was a shy sensitive man who was deeply influenced by music. He used it to graet effect.
He also sought to move people emotionally with his films.
This is something I have also sought to do during some of my recent dance projects.

By researching  his history, his ideas and his work I hope to understand more about him.
By studying animation technique and in particular the techniques he pioneered I hope to have a clearer picture of his art form.

Aims
To investigate the creative mind of Norman McLaren through his personal history and work.
To investigate his love of dance music and movement.
To explore links between dance and animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment