Friday 21 October 2011

process

While discussing and thinking about artists who did most of the work alone I looked again at William Kentridge. I looked at his charcoal work way back and liked the technique so much I did some experiments myself...only very rough!! I found this film of an interview with him on his work process quite inspiring.As a dancer I do sometimes find the process of film frustrating...I get very bogged down in the edit room for example!! I am much happier moving myself...and making work which I can see soon after it is made.With choreography this is what happens....you see the work as it develops...then light, costume and set it afterwards.But film is what I have set out to make and I am learning so much...and still have a LONG way to go!!
Kentridge also mentions in this interview the lengthy process of making film and how different this is if you create all the stills yourself in the studio...the dialogue is with yourself about which images to use or edit...and the creative flow is thus undisturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment