Sunday 23 October 2011

Dreamtime

I have just come from the opening of 'Encounters with Place' the exhibition in Perth Theatre which contains my two Sherrifmuir photos. I have had a great response so far...which gives me a real boost...and a resolve to continue with photogaphy and place. It is something I have really enjoyed..in part learning to use my new camera and also to continue to look afresh at places I encounter. There is another series apart from the light and place one which is about my journey home. At some point in the future I will do something with these, but for now it is great to have these exhibited.

It also prompted another discussion ..at the exhibition...about the film I made with Kyra Clegg. It is finished..and I include that final version here. In fact it was exhibited at the ''Encounters iwth Time'' exhibition in Perth, which has just finished last week. It was good to collaborate on this film. I worked with Kyra on creating and selecting the material for the film. I worked on dance for this but also on the lighting, positioning..some of the camera work...and the final edit. We had a really great response to this...one quote ...''a hauntingly beautiful piece''.


dreamtime from kyra clegg on Vimeo.

This process was very worthwhile for me. Collaborating with Kyra was exciting..we encourage each other to develop our thinking and to explore different areas of creative expression.And to take risks. In part I would say the work for 'Dreamtime' was initially inspired by work we had seen together last year. Partly because we both responded in this way to that particular material, it was clear we had sinilar thoughts about collaboration, and agreed then that we would begin a piece together. We wanted to use Kyra's studio space (which she no longer has!) as it could give us a feeling of 'other worldliness'and as there were shutteres we couls change the feeling of the space in a few different ways. Weused daylight, darkness, candlelight  and artificial light.We both have a sense of the dramatic in terms of the visual look of the film...costume, light etc...And bring complementary skills to the 'table'. My knowledge of space and form, light and colour and the moving body pair well with Kyra's sense of  sculptural composition, light, timing, effects, as well as her editing skills. It was time consuming...pulling together all the costume possibilities..props etc and then negotiating which we would use. But it was certainly a more straightforard way to work than on ''All Made Up'' (the film 4 of us made during the advanced production module at DOJCAD). Although for that I also was the one who pulled together the actors and costume, make up etc. And although we had clear roles..James Bell as director, me doung script and production , Adam Thompson doing camera and Kaye doing edit, we dd collaborate on each area. Different to be in the film too ..rather than only outside in a production/scripwriting role.

the talk at the exhibition today has given me ideas for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment