Wednesday 9 May 2012

LIGHTING and after effects



This is a short test section of dance footage to highlight the effect I want with lights. I am happy with how it looks( apart from the curtain in the background...this will not be here in the final cut!) and will now try to achieve continuity with other shots based on this.I do feel I might have to take a bit more film to match up a longer travel sequence I have done ... I would like to re-do it with this effect. I love the way Alicia expresses emotional qualities..we spent a lot of time talking about this part of the dance.









After hours of carefully scrutinising the dance footage I have taken for Norman's Skates, I am beginning to select a few to trial in after effects. The ones I choose have lighting which I feel reflects how I want the film to look at this point.
There is a plan for each one I am choosing (and many more ideas in my mind to store for another day!!)
It is wonderful that as I learn new technology and techniques, my mind and eyes begin to see other possibilities for those, and how they might enhance my practice. As I have become more accomplished at lighting and camera I begin to reject earlier trials...too complex...too bright....not enough contrast......camera not still....etc..some of these are just impossible to fully judge until seen in the edit. Some clips work really well in after effects even tho I at first reject them.
I realise my task is immense. To be an expert in only one of these new fields would be enough, but I never lose sight of the fact that ultimately I am still a choreographer and the camera and effects must compliment that not take over. These technologies(edit, after effects, lighting and camera technique)have now, however, become part of my creative process and now that I am really getting enveloped in it I want to spend hours if not years working in this new way!! But small steps first!!


No comments:

Post a Comment