Wednesday 18 April 2012

drawing with muscle memory

After a full day of filming I joined a group drawing dancers at Hannah McLure..a warm up event for the film festival. It was a delight at the end of the day to step back again and look at dance in a different way.
The joy of this session was that the curator, Clare Brennan had set up a dance session specifically for drawing so ..a bit like life drawing class..the poses were of varying lengths. and then the dancers just kept moving...so this was more like my experience with scottish dance Theatre. Tho this time there was no need to be discreet and quiet...so I tried some big drawings with pastel.

Partly I wanted to try a slightly sketchier style, following a discussion about my work earlier in the week.

It is good to keep in touch with this way of working as I feel it is contributing a sense of movement to my work...which I hope will be fresh in my movement memory as I progress.

still experimenting with various clour of papers and pastels












Also interesting that one of the dancers chatted to me later in the week and asked about my work. We then had a discussion about drawing movement and how I draw from my muscle memory as I draw on the paper.


I certainly feel that this is great discussion to pursue with animators and dancers in the future, and in fact an idea is building of at least one project beyond my masters which will take what I am learning and experiencing in drawing on to an extended dance /film experimental work.

No comments:

Post a Comment