Monday 25 April 2011

Research

Last week I made my 4th visit to Stirling to the McLaren archive. There had been a missed communication between Karl McGhee (the archivist)and myself so it was great to catch up again and plan our next steps. We made a few decisions....I am going to be there virtually every week now till the final presentation in the autumn.
I contacted the university dance society in Stirling and met a few dancers who would be keen to get involved with the dance section of my project at Stirling.I also found contact details for the MacRobert Centre Dance Artist.
With Karl I agreed that I will work on the catalogue of Norman's correspondance , and add my personal insights and connections with his work, family etc.Karl is also going to contact Liam , the director of the Mac Robert about a dance response (workshop and performance)to the archive, and some collaboration with the centre for that.
I spent some time in The Pathfoot building among the exhibition of paintings and photos which belong to the archive, but which are on public display. I include some of these.



This photo  (from the Film Board of Canada)  was included in a newspaper
article I have.I remeber it vividly...it was the first memory I have of being told about my relative from canada who made films. My dad was very proud I think....


(photos - NBC)
I had not seen this one before I saw it in stirling, but I really like this young face of Norman's.
In both there is an unmistakable family resemblance. Great to see him celebrated at Stirling....
I looked from the pathfoot building over to the Wallace Monument which was so much part of my childhood.
It is amazing to think of Norman growing up here too, and I know he wandered this area long before the university was here! I also walked past  Airthrie Castle, now a business centre, but which was a maternity hospital....where in fact I was born! I am not sure exactly where Norman was born...at home maybe?

From here I look across the hills too...where Norman walked. I have always felt (at least since I began to examine my Scottish 'spirit' and inheritance ) that the light around this area of hills is really inspiring and it is not surprising that McLaren also talked about this ( The Creative Process- film by Don McWilliams).
I  use light in my dance works in a subtle way...I wonder if I am always trying to find atmospheric solutions because I grew up in such an atmospheric place? Light is certainly a big part of my life. I have now chosen to live somewhere where light plays in my window daily....and where I can look at coasts with light dancing on the water.

A couple of weeks ago I took these shots in Broughty Ferry when the sun was low in the sky and the wind almost horizontal!!




Norman McLaren used light to great effect when he created his pastel works...C'est L'Aviron and Poulette Grise. I have tried some pastel work, but am not happy yet with the results....tho there is no doubt it is a lovely medium for capturing light effect!!



These  two pictures (above) were taken at Sherrifmuir, near Stirling, and I think convey the dramatic light I often see around the surrounding Ochil Hills. We are now nearing Beltane...and I climbed one of these hills regularily on Mayday when I was younger. I know Norman climbed it often too.   ..Dumyat...near Stirling I should do it again soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment