Saturday 30 April 2011

pastel experiments

Looking at McLaren's work in pastel had prompted me to try to do some pastel sketches. It is quite close to charcoal, depending on the type you choose. I really liked the quality of charcoal work,,,I have to be much bolder in my sketching style....braver in just diving into it.....and rubbing out does not obliterate your efforts.....not always a good thing!!!
I found some really fine pastel pencils which give a cleaner line than charcoal but have the smoothness I like about charcoal. I tried to work white on black...following McLaren's demo on the clip on technique for C'est L'Aviron, and white on grey,,,above....which allowed me to also add black for shadow and white for highlight. I like this effect...better than white on black..below...tho the model prefered this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment