Wednesday 6 June 2012

prep for animation

I have been looking at the swan and how it will look...I have a good amount of images to compare now so am continuously working at how to put these into animation within my film. I am really enjoying the traditional 2D animation technique and although I have also experimented with charcoal and pastel in direct methods, I will probably not use this method but stick to 2d frame by frame. It is hugely time consuming but I like the control it means I have over the final effect. Since I will have to use the transparent animation paper for this I have been exploring ways to get the effect I am looking for. I had a session booked to see this done but all the computers and scanners were between our old and new studios so I was faced with a choice...either wait or try to work it out myself. So I chose the latter. I really had to work on reversing all the colour in my predominantly white swan. I started with the original drawing I did in pastel and inverted it in photoshop. This produced a rather lovely image but with a lot of blue.



                                                     




                                                                                                           



 












 I then looked at the drawing below...a later pastel sketch...and have had a go at drawing it again on animation paper to see how the pastel would look. I then merged the style of this drawing with the first image from my swan animation but drew it all in reverse colouring, highlighting in black pastel and sketching the outline also in black. The beak in black and face lighter. I was quite excited taking it to scan...only the scanner was behaving badly!! Technical intervention and some time later I scanned and then inverted the sketch in photoshop. I paid a lot of attention to the detail of the head and I am pleased with the result. It will be a lot of days and nights work to get this to become animation but I am looking forward to seeing it.


second swan pastel

                                                       swan sketch on animation paper




                                                             swan sketch inverted

No comments:

Post a Comment